- All dogs and cats over the age of six (6) months must be vaccinated against rabies and receive an annual license. The license fee is $15 per calendar year for an altered dog or cat, or $20 per calendar for a dog or cat that is not spayed or neutered. Renewal forms are mailed to owners in November each year. The renewal due date is December 31st.
- Late fees of $2.50 per month are assessed beginning January 1st.
- No more than a total of three (3) dogs and cats can be maintained at a residence.
- To temporarily receive permission to maintain more than three dogs/cats, a Multiple Animal License must be obtained. Cottage Grove City Code limits the total number of dogs and/or cats under a Multiple Animal License to five (5).
- Maintaining a breeding/boarding/training kennel in a single-family residential zoning district, or in any other zoning district without a conditional use permit, is prohibited.
- There are several city ordinances that address pets and pet licensing in Cottage Grove. They can be viewed online by going to the Sterling Codifier web site and going to Title 5- Police Regulations and then Chapter 4 - Animal Control.
Click here to download a current pet license application.
(Please note: Our address/location has changed to: 12800 Ravine Pkwy S. Cottage Grove, MN 55016)
Wild or Exotic Animals
Keeping any animal that is normally considered wild, ferocious, or vicious by nature, is prohibited, and defined in City Code 5-4-1.
Licenses can be purchased at City Hall, 12800 Ravine Parkway So., during normal business hours, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Payment options are cash or check only; credit cards are not accepted. Proof of rabies vaccination must be provided when purchasing the license.
Please note that all dogs must have a current City of Cottage Grove dog license to use the city's dog park.
Questions or for additional information please call 651-458-2843