The Mayor and City Council are the City's legislative and policy-making body.
The Mayor is elected at-large to serve a four-year term as the officer who presides over City Council meetings and as the official head of the City for legislative and ceremonial purposes. The four-member City Council is elected from the City on a non-partisan basis to serve overlapping four-year terms.
Acting as a whole, the City Council is responsible for passing ordinances and orders necessary for governing the City, setting budgets and determining the direction of City policy.
The Mayor and City Councilmembers do not have offices at City Hall.
The City Council typically holds two official meetings on the first and third Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m. in the Council Chamber at City Hall. Only one meeting is usually held in either July or August to accommodate budget meetings. In addition, the Council occasionally holds special meetings at other than regular times.
An open forum is included on the agenda for those whom wish to directly address the Council on subjects that are not part of the regular meeting.
Check the calendar of events for specific meeting dates.
City Council Mission
- Provide excellence in the delivery of public services to community residents, businesses and owners of property
City Council Vision
The City Council continues its vision for the future as:
- An accessible community with an appreciation for our environment, trees, hills, ravines, landscapes and river including quality park, green and open space areas
- A good place to raise a family through its life cycle who are proud of their community of well maintained neighborhoods and property
- To create and maintain a base of strong businesses that complement and engage with the community and provide jobs for the City and surrounding area
- A fiscally responsible, engaged government with well maintained infrastructure, access to quality inter- and intra-community transportation and transit and safe residential and commercial neighborhoods and public spaces
Operational Guiding Principles 2014-2018
- Be an employer of choice through a culture of continuous improvement, a spirit of collaboration between departments and divisions, a proactive approach to internal and external communications, job enrichment, employee growth and training, injury reduction and work place efficiencies
- Achieve customer satisfaction in top 20% of peer communities across all metrics
- Meet or exceed financial targets toward improvement of rating agency outlooks
- Create an environmentally focused and sustainable organization
- Ensure proactive evaluation of technology opportunities for business lines and service delivery as “return on investment” justifies implementation