On Saturday, Dec. 9, at 5:15 p.m., the Canadian Pacific Holiday Train returns to the communities of Cottage Grove, Newport and St. Paul Park for its 15th year.
The train will stop along West Point Douglas Road, just south of the 80th St. Bridge / Belden Crossing (across from the Youth Service Bureau).
All cash and donations of personal care items collected at this stop go directly to the Friends in Need Food Shelf, which serves the residents of Cottage Grove, Grey Cloud Island, Newport and St. Paul Park.
In celebration of 15 years in Cottage Grove, several new features have been added to this year’s event.
- The Holiday Train Festival of Trees: Presented by the City of Cottage Grove Arts Commission.
- This is your opportunity to sponsor and decorate an Evergreen Tree for the Canadian Pacific Holiday Train event. For $250, a company, organization, or family can sponsor one of 12 trees and decorate it with a “Twelve Days of Christmas” theme.
- Decorating, which reflects one of the "gifts" in the song, shall be completed at the event site on December 9. Trees will be on display during the event and are available to sponsoring groups to take home when the event concludes.
- Trees are limited to the first 12 groups to secure their sponsorship. Sponsorship registration opens Monday, October 16, 2017. Groups can apply for tree sponsorship by visiting: http://bit.ly/2gE047Z
- Spectacular Laser Light Show & Luminaries: Sponsored by 3M Cottage Grove.
- Brats & Hot Dogs: Grilled by the Cottage Grove Lions Club will be available for purchase. Proceeds will benefit Friends in Need Food Shelf. Available while supplies last.
- Other features of the event returning this year include, “The Lodge” warming tent, sponsored by RE/MAX Professionals, featuring merchandise for sale including 15th Anniversary insulated tumblers, Holiday Train sweatshirts, knit caps, fleece mittens, fleece blankets, and more!
- Free hot beverages and cookies will be available along with food to purchase from Mountain Mike's of which a portion of the proceeds will benefit Friends in Need.
- Glo-sticks will be given to children in attendance courtesy of Anchor Bank, Merchants Bank, Spartan Promotional Group – Mary Slusser and MidWestOne Bank, while supplies last.
- Come early to visit with Santa and enjoy some holiday music before the train arrives.
The Holiday Train is truly a gift to our communities. Last year our communities raised an astounding $80,458.68 and collected 17,680 pounds of toiletries, food and toys for our local Friends in Need Food Shelf. In the past 14 years, the Holiday Train event in Cottage Grove has raised over $927,423 for our local food shelf! Our goal is to hit a huge milestone of 1 million dollars raised in fifteen years by meeting our 2017 goal of $90,000.
Cottage Grove, Newport and St. Paul Park area residents are not waiting until the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Holiday Train on Saturday, Dec. 9 to start reaching out to the community to raise awareness and funds for our local Friends in Need Food Shelf. Pre-stop fund raising includes:
- Selling Holiday Loaves specially baked by SuperMom’s in St. Paul Park, at area churches
- A Spaghetti Dinner at The American Legion in St. Paul Park on Saturday, Nov. 4 from 2 to 8 p.m., sponsored by our local Lions Clubs and Thrivent Financial
- Bagging groceries at Cub Foods in Cottage Grove, Sunday, Nov. 19
- “10 Days of Giving” at local schools sponsored by Merchants Bank with assistance from Werner Electric Supply, Edwards Plumbing, the City of Cottage Grove and South Washington Schools.
- The sale of “Train Cut-Outs” at local businesses, sponsored by Anchor Bank
The Cottage Grove Area Chamber of Commerce, the City of Cottage Grove, the City of Newport and the City of St. Paul Park are hosting this event in conjunction with many local volunteers, local businesses and community leaders. Cash is the preferred donation but the need is also great for personal care items such as bar soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothbrushes, dish soap, toilet paper, paper towels or diapers.
If you are unable to attend the event and would still like to donate to the Friends in Need Food Shelf, please send checks payable to the Friends in Need Food Shelf, noting “Holiday Train” in the memo line. Checks can be sent to the Friends in Need Food Shelf, P.O. Box 6, Cottage Grove, MN 55016.
Event CP Holiday Train Stop in Cottage Grove, MN
Date: Saturday, December 9, 2017
Time: Train is scheduled to arrive at 5:30 p.m. Other festivities will begin by 4:30 p.m.
Location: West Point Douglas Road, just south of the 80th St. Bridge / Belden Crossing (across from the Youth Service Bureau).